Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dipping into the Dave Ramsey emergency fund for Copays..

But no, this post is not about how high copays are or insurance reform or anything of the such (although I do have opinions about those things). This post is about my poor sick, precious little boy who didn't get off the couch more than three times today. It all started two weeks ago. He SCREAMED for quite some time in the nursery one Wednesday night, the next day he took about six hours in naps and we had to wake him up from those. Then on Saturday he was up for 45 min. to 1 hour and then was ready for a nap. So I called our doctor. They didn't call back. I called again. They called back finally, 3 1/2 hours after my first call and after they were closed. So I took him to Kids Time Pediatrics ($60 copay plus medicine), where surprisingly I had a positive experience.  He had an ear infection and possibly strep throat, but the doctor said since we were treating with an antibiotic, we didn't really need to swab for strep. I was fine with that.  Almost immediately on the Amoxicillin was better. The following Saturday he was running a low grade fever and I decided to forego the calling and just went in ($25 and no cost for medicine b/c the doctor gave us samples). Good thing because they changed his antibiotic to Suprax. His icky green nose was somewhat icky, but clear icky :) .  Tuesday he played hard, very hard. He had such a great time. Then Wednesday a.m. he was running a fever, but not high, so I gave him Tylenol and sent him off to Nana's.  Then middle of the afternoon his fever spiked, so I took him in again (so now we're up to three visits total $110). The doctor said it was probably a virus b/c his throat and ears looked "beautiful.' He'll run a fever for the next several days, but as long as it's under 103, he'll be fine. 
I stayed home today because I felt Steven needed it and he did.  He didn't want me to put him down except in his bed for his naps.  He got off the couch 2-3 times all day.  He didn't really eat much either and refused to eat anything His fever decreased and was managed on Tylenol/Ibuprofen, but then around 7:00 I took his temp, an hour after he took his last dose, and it was 103.4. We immediately took him in.  His throat was horribly red and his tonsils had puss pockets on them.  The recommendation: antibiotic shots AND another oral antibiotic.  So, Chad and I had to both hold him down during the shots and he had this horrible "what are you doing" and "help, make  it stop" look on his face, which made me cry during the second shot.  It was horrible. He cried in this high pitch sing songy voice for the next 15-20 minutes and anytime the wonderful nurse who gave him the shot. 
I hope this is that last bit of this episode of sickness, because I'm really over Steven being sick and seriously at this rate, we will be dipping into the emergency fund!

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby. And poor Mommy and Daddy--I almost cried thinking of you having to hold him down for shots--no fun at all. Hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete