Saturday, March 13, 2010

Today was one of those days....

Today was one of those days as a police officer's wife you are reminded that you have to be patient and calm while knowing they could possibly be in a very sticky situation and know that plans will always be subject to change.  Around noon as we were getting ready to leave for a nephew's birthday party, he was called in to help with a situation. He's never been called in before so this was new.  So quickly we scratched going to the party together and  Chad got dressed to go to work while Steven and I got ready to go to the party without him.  I'm not a flexible person; in my mind I would like to be one, but am not.  I hate changes in plans. While he was scrambling around getting everything together there wasn't much time to think about worrying, just thinking how I had to get to the store to buy our nephew's gift, go to the party without him and later that afternoon wouldn't be spent looking for Steven's 1st birthday present. But then quickly after he left I started worrying.  Then before going down that detrimental path, I started thinking about how I must learn to trust God will take care of him, that he will do what it takes to come home and I will learn to patiently, calmly wait and be flexible in our plans for the day.  I've learned over the past few years how to remain fairly calm but there's always a mental pep talk about there's no benefit in getting worked up. It's hard not to even start down the path of worrying, though.  In the end, he wasn't in too much danger, but it was another reminder I need to work on remaining calm and never take a day for granted. I still don't like that our plans changed and I had to go it alone, but tomorrow's a new day and we'll be getting Steven's birthday present then.

No comments:

Post a Comment