Monday, May 3, 2010

Praying blah, blah, blah...

Two weekends a year I do what I went to school to do; children's ministry. This weekend prior to our vacation was one of those weekends.  I just had the older kids (ages 4-12) and only 24 of them, so it was less choatic for me. 

Well, the first two sessions we talked about why do we worship God; what's a sacrifice; and what's the difference for us compared to the Israelites. It's always amazing to me to hear what comes out of these kids minds. One five year old said something so prolific and I wish I could remember the exact words, but it was about Jesus' sacrifice and at the end of her statement many of the older kids (9, 10, 12) said she should be a preacher when she grew up. On Saturday night we had a Passover Meal. The younger kids (4-6) partook of all of the elements, but in a simplified format and the older kids partook as we partake of Passover when we celebrate it as a family.  
The last night was a conglamorate of things. As I sat down to do a lesson that never got delivered, I wanted to do a review what we had learned the two days prior.  I was asking questions and one child spoke up and said that we need to remember that it had to be a spotless lamb sacrificed and Jesus was sinless and somehow we were diverted to a five year old speaking of how she is confused right now because her friend was in a car wreck and now has something wrong with her brain and she can't even remember how to walk or talk.  Then one seven year old urgently raised his hand and said we had to pray for her, so could he. Before we could start praying I felt I began to lose control of the classroom. The five year old's sister spoke up and said that the littel girls brother was in the wreck too and he had a cut on his forehead that looked like red velvet cake. How can you keep a straight face?! And all the kids were laughing and you have to stop them, right? Well, then the boy who offered to pray wanted prayer for his dad's dad's brother who died recently. "I mean he was just in his bed one day and then died." And then somehwere in there in reference to the little girl, someone said "her brain is just messed up."  Well, we finally got to the prayer and little boy kinda got lost in how to end his prayer, which was so sweet up until he started going "and blah, blah, blah and all that stuff."  However do we sometimes pray blah, blah, blah?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment