Sunday, July 10, 2011

Change/Growth…..Supporting a Mission

My alma mater changed its name 10 days ago.  When I first heard the announcement of the move and change, I was a little ruffled.  However that day I had the opportunity to have dinner with a trustee and an adjunct professor/soon-to-be-ft-professor and loved what I heard.  The following day I was given the opportunity to hear the president, Dean Collins, speak about the changes. Since then I’ve been excited to see Atlanta Christian College become Point University (although I don’t like the sound of P.U.). It’s traditional residential campus is moving to where my parents live has excited me as well, because they need the boost and ACC/PU can grow freely in West Point. 

I think I don’t like change very much, but I do like to see growth happen and this is how I look at the changes to ACC.  I’ve seen a lot of growth on campus there through my sisters’ experiences since I graduated and at times have almost been jealous of their experience and the sense of community that has happened.  I’ve seen one and soon-to-be another adult while working full time be able to complete their degrees with a Christian education, which would not have happened without the development and growth of the nontraditional program since I graduated in ‘03.  I’ve been excited about it all. 

The one thing I didn’t anticipate is what I’ve seen on Facebook this past week on the alumni page.  Now, I do think that the Point University Alumni Facebook Page should be a “ACC/PU Alumni” group, but people are not just outraged about that.  And it does feel as though they are outraged because the word Christian has been dropped from the name as well as the direction of the college changing.  One person even went on to say they or their church don’t agree with the mission of the school anymore.  I’m very perplexed by this because I am encouraged by the changes and growth happening, the ability to reach more people, etc, etc.  So, I went to the website and looked up the mission and here it is:

Mission

The mission of Point University is to educate students for Christ-centered service and leadership throughout the world.

 

Vision

Point University will be the college of choice for students seeking a Christian learning community that is academically challenging, spiritually vibrant and globally engaged.

Core Values

Christ-centered… focused on the needs of the church.
Kingdom-focused…
preparing students to direct their personal and professional energies toward impacting the world for Christ.
Personal responsibility and growth… encouraging students to live productive and fruitful lives.
Transforming community… maintaining a positive, affirming climate on campus that encourages personal and collective growth and improvement.
Integrity in the strategic stewardship of resources… establishing a clear culture of accountability and transparency in all dealings.
Global vision for ministry… preparing students for a culturally diverse and interconnected church and world.
Service to community… dedicated to modeling individual and institutional service to the communities in which we serve.

How as a Christian can you argue with these points?  It is my understanding that every student will still be required to have at least a minor in Bible taught by many of the same professors I had and the new professor is one I attended college with (at ACC) and go to church with now.  Many people on the group’s page were concerned about why the name was changed and had other questions, that I’ve found answers to on the school’s website.  Which raises a trend in our society that troubles me.  We go to social media sites to gain our information instead of the source.  It has been very clear in the past months by publications on the school’s website of what is going to happen and why.  Then why are were searching for answers from others that are not a part of the growth process.

Maybe I’m just naïve and think what I hear from people involved in this process and making the decisions are saying what they really mean.  I do have to say, though, I’m still pleased and excited about the changes and growth that, I believe, are going to facilitate many more students educated from a Christ-centered approach than if this change hadn’t occurred.  Just my two cents, but if you want to hear more, please visit here and not solely rely on people not actively involved in this process.

 

-Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment