Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Turning 30

This week (well it was when I started writing this post) I turned 30 and as the months and days have drawn closer, I began to dread it more.  Turning 25 was horrible, so in my head the thought of turning 30 would be much worse.  I took the day off of work because I was at least going to spend it with Chad and Steven and try to enjoy it. I woke up at 6:45 wanting to start the day off right and did a 50 min Zumba workout and by the time Chad and Steven were up was refreshed and ready to enjoy the day.  Because I’m an adult now and need to be mature, responsible, etc., etc.  There’s nothing about 30 that is fun and carefree like your twenties (or so it goes in my head).  Not that I’m not looking forward to enjoying life, but just that it’s a different way of enjoying it. 

At work the day before my boss talked about how much further in life I was than he when he turned 30, he hadn’t bought a house, had any kids, and may have just found a job. It was at that point I realized I wasn’t going to dread the next day. 

Chad’s car overheated two days prior and we had to replace the radiator.  At 8:30 on my birthday we found out it was $840, which was going to bring our total for house and car expenses in the past 10 months to around $8,000.  After a few large gulps, I reflected on how blessed we are because we’ve been in a position to pay that $8,000 without going into debt (at least paying it all by the end of the month charged, which counts in my book).  I felt truly blessed to be in a position where our jobs are basically recession proof, both can qualify for overtime to pay for those expenses, we have a wonderful son who makes all of life more enjoyable and although we are trying to sell our house it’s still a good house, in a good location that we can afford.  (and I’m keeping this attitude even though since then we’re going to have to replace this car and go into debt for it).
I hope that this year I’m living a life that’s more pleasing to God than the last.  I’ve made some “resolutions” of how to live along the lines of New Year’s resolutions and I hope that they stick.  I’m trying to put my good ideas/intentions into action, take some time for me, stand up for myself more, try not to care TOO much what others’ think, enjoy the day at hand.And I look forward to the next 30 (and hopefully longer) years of growth, life and fun, while glorifying God all the while.


-Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment