Saturday, February 5, 2011

HELP!!

I don't like asking for it. 

I had Steven almost two years ago and have been thinking about it.  The only help I asked for was for a friend to be in the labor and delivery with me and for my mom to help me on a trip to Florida to do childcare for Campus Crusade 4 weeks after his birth.  I really could've used a lot of help.  I even had a friend living with us for a few months and didn't ask her for help.

I'd rather make four trips to the car than ask one person to help me.

I don't usually even ask Chad for help; although I'm asking more of him some.

A few months ago, Chad accidentally took my keys to work with him and the admin asst was out sick.  I had to ask my boss for a ride to work; then figure out a way to pick him up, and get a ride home.  The total count for requests for help that day were 4. The next day I had a flat tire as I was arriving at the church.  I tried to find someone to come and change it, but had to result to asking one of our ministers.  I knew he would say yes, but didn't want to ask him because I sense he is the go-to guy for everyone who needs help.  I just felt there were larger kingdom matters to deal with.  ;)  And of course it wasn't straightforward and took longer than it needed to.  As I was feeling horrible and trying to figure the least inconvenient way to use his help, he said it's okay you need help and I can help you.  Of course that's the obvious, but it hit me like a ton of bricks; my problem is that I can't ask or receive assistance. Even to following someone who knows how to get somewhere when we're both leaving from the same location at the same time. 

I don't ever want people to think I'm taking advantage of them and I think that's my problem. 

But on the contrary, I love to help people.  I would help others all day every day if I could.  and I really don't expect anything in return.  I'm not really sure why I have something against asking for help, but it's there and I'm going to try and work on asking for it when I really need it. 

I have gotten better at asking my mom to keep Steven, but I really see that as her opportunity to enjoy his sweetness..haha! But I've still asked. 

So don't be completely shocked if you hear me ask you for help one of these days....

1 comment:

  1. Oh Deanna, I can totally identify with you on this one! I've always been like that, but especially as my family grew larger. I've had to learn that I can't do it all on my own and that sometimes others' help is God's provision for me. BUT, I also easily forget that, too! Let's pray for each other on this one!

    ReplyDelete