Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Soul Aeration

I've been thinking of my soul as it pertains to God; not my eternal status, but right now status.  In Sunday School this past week we were talking about God's will and such and then read Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version) "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. " We were talking about how it's not necessarily talking about our physical or material wealth; someone even said how maybe he's talking about prospering our soul.  I struggle with that; especially recently.  Nothing huge is the matter, but I don't feel like my soul is being prospered or taken care of by God. Much less others who have been through or are going through such difficult things right now.  But I've been wrestling with this because they all speak of how God's done mighty things in their life through their difficult situations. 

Our lawn is in need of aeration and I'm not totally changing the subject here. I wasn't exactly sure what that means, but it is the process of poking holes into the ground, which in turn allows for your grass to grow better. I looked it up and one article says that you aerate to allow one or more of the following to happen:


•Oxygen gets to the roots and the soil allowing it to "breathe"
•Organic fertilizers and nutrients get access to the root system
•Water is able to better soak the soil and reach the root system
•Helps to break up thatch
•Tight, compacted soil is loosened up allowing the root system to grow

Could my soul need aeration? Could it be that my soul is being poke and proded to allow oxygen to get to the deeper parts of my soul? For it to be fertilized more deeply? For water to penetrate so deep that even the deepest darkest parts of my soul are prospered? Allowing me to grow deeper with God?  Is this what is happening when friends face cancer and grow closer to each other and God? When an 8 year old whose fighting cancer's parents speak of God's strength for survival?  Is He aerating our souls? Is this how he prospers us and gives us a hope for the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment